Australia doesn’t have too many original recipes *cough British cough*, but the lamington is a classic treat there that is not only very delicious, but also super easy and fool proof to make! Think cake dipped in chocolate and coconut… and that’s pretty much it!
COPY AND SAVE THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PHONE!
- 125g Butter, Softened
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Self-raising Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 1/2 cups Icing Sugar Mixture
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1tbsp Butter, Softened
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 2 cups Desiccated Coconut
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Cover a 20cm X 30cm X 3cm dish with baking paper.
- Whisk (or electric mixer) the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time and mixing well.
- Slowly add the flour and milk over butter mixture, stir to combine.
- Evenly pour into dish, bake for 30 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Set aside on wire rack to cool, up to 4 hours.
- Mix icing mixture and cocoa into a bowl, add butter and boiling water, stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into 15 pieces, dip pieces into icing mixture first, then roll in coconut, place on wire rack. Stand for 2 hours or until set.